Getting Help with a Nursing Home Abuse Case from a Law Firm
Getting Help with a Nursing Home
Abuse Case from a Law Firm
If someone you know has fallen victim to nursing home abuse, you may wonder what to do next. The first step is to seek legal help. A law firm specializing in nursing home abuse cases can help you understand your rights and options and will fight to attain the compensation deserved.
Nursing home abuse is a serious problem, and it’s important to take action if you suspect that your loved one is being abused. Continue reading to learn more.
What Nursing Home Lawsuits Can Offer
When a nursing home resident is subject to abuse or neglect, their family can file a lawsuit to seek compensation and justice. Here’s what to expect from a nursing home lawsuit:
- Financial Compensation. If you believe someone close to you has become a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, it’s possible to seek proper compensation for the victim. Financial compensation can help cover the costs of medical care and other expenses related to the abuse.
- Safety For Your Loved One. While nursing home abuse and neglect can take many forms, some of the most common types of abuse include physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and financial abuse. A lawsuit can help ensure the abuser is held accountable for their actions.
- Accountability for the Abuse. In addition to the previous point, nursing home lawsuits can help to ensure that the facility is held accountable for its failure to protect residents from abuse. Keep in mind that abuse can also include neglect, which is when a nursing home fails to provide adequate care or fails to protect residents from harm.
When Nursing Home Lawsuits May Be Filed
There are many reasons why a nursing home lawsuit may be filed, such as:
- Abuse, Injury, or Neglect. If you or a loved one has fallen victim to abuse, injury, or neglect at a nursing home, a personal injury lawsuit could be filed against the responsible parties.
- Extra Healthcare Expenses. Another reason is if the resident incurs extra healthcare expenses as a result of the nursing home’s negligence. Such occurrences also warrant a lawsuit against the nursing home.
- Death. In some cases, nursing home abuse or neglect may even result in a loved one’s death. If this happens, a lawsuit may be filed by the deceased’s estate against the responsible parties.
How Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys Can Help
If you or a loved one has become a nursing home abuse victim, you may feel rather overwhelmed and uncertain of what to do next. Here’s how a nursing home abuse lawyer can help:
- File a Lawsuit Without Errors. Filing a lawsuit is not a simple process, as there are many steps involved, and the case may be dismissed if it’s not completed correctly. However, a lawyer can ensure that the proper paperwork is filed to begin the lawsuit.
- Inform About the Case Progress. A nursing home abuse lawyer can update you regarding your case and claim. If you do have a case, the lawyer will help you file the necessary paperwork and represent you in court, keeping you informed all the way.
- Negotiate Higher Compensation. There can be instances where there is simply not enough compensation given by the nursing home. If it is unjust, an attorney can negotiate on the victim’s behalf to ensure the appropriate amount.
A lawyer can assist you with gathering evidence to support your case and work with you to get the best possible outcome. If you or a loved one has become a nursing home abuse victim, don’t hesitate to seek legal help.
Need help with nursing home abuse in Tampa, FL? Mendes, Reins & Wilander is a personal injury law firm with practice areas in nursing home and assisted living neglect and abuse. medical malpractice, wrongful death, and more. Contact us today!